- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 03-22-2015
POSTURE IS MORE THAN AESTHETICS!
Posture Abnormalities linked to higher mortality rates, pulmonary disease and aging
“Older men and women with hyperkyphotic posture (increased mid back curvature) have higher mortality rates. The greater the degree of hyperkyphosis, the greater the rates of death, poor physical function and pulmonary (lung) disease.”
“Hyperkyphotic posture reflects an increased rate of physiological aging”
Hyperkyphotic Posture Predicts Mortality in Older Community-Dwelling Men and Women: A Prospective Study Journal of the American Geriatrics Society Volume 52 Issue 10 Page 1662 – October 2004
Postural linked to cognitive decline and arteriosclerosis
“Postural instability was found to be associated with early pathological changes in the brain and functional decline, even in apparently healthy subjects.”
“Researchers found that the inability to balance on one leg for longer than 20 seconds was associated with cerebral small vessel disease.”
Tabara Y, Okada Y, Ohara M, Uetani E, Kido T, Ochi N, Nagai T, Igase M, Miki T, Matsuda F, Kohara K. “Association of postural instability with asymptomatic cerebrovascular damage and cognitive decline: the Japan shimanami health promoting program study.” Stroke. 2015 Jan;46(1):16-22.
American Journal of Pain Management, 1994
“Spinal pain, headache, mood, blood pressure, pulse, and lung capacity are among the functions most easily influenced by posture”
The Journal of Neuroscience, 2007
“Bad posture could raise your blood pressure. Study finds neurolink between position of neck muscles and high blood pressure.”
1. Bring awareness into your day by asking yourself each time you sit, stand and walk:
- Are my shoulders rolled back?
- Is my head pulled in towards my body?
2. Get a workstation ergonomic check for both your desk at home and at work.
3. Have a postural analysis performed and begin practicing the corrective mirror-image exercises. In the meantime simply begin EXERCISING with the correct form.
4. Don't sit for prolonged periods of time without getting up to move or stretch.
5.If you read, consider integrating audio-books and GO FOR A WALK while listening.
6. Get your eyes checked! If you are straining to read, watch T.V.,drive, etc. chances are you may be pulling your head too far out in front of your body.
7. Get adjusted!
8. Eat a whole foods plant-based diet to provide nutrients and structured water to all the joints of the body - especially the spinal disks!
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.
WANT TO UNLOCK YOUR HIGHEST POTENTIAL?
Are you sick and tired of being SICK AND TIRED?
Are you disillusioned with conventional treatments that lack focus on CAUSE, PREVENTION, DIET AND LIFESTYLE?
Sign up below to start your journey! We will assess your goals and guide you on your very first steps to reclaiming what is rightfully yours -- your HEALTH! We work with individuals in both the local Jacksonville area as well as those who are out-of-state.
Confused where to start? Click below to learn more about our seminars, one-on-one coaching, and on-line programs.
To begin, we will provide you with our FREE E-books, FREE 21-Day Jump Start Wellness Program and Newsletter to get you ready for your upcoming journey.